Saturday 16 February 2008

Lusitano Horse Stallion Grading

This morning I had the chance to attend a Lusitano Stallion Grading here in Lisbon.

I was curious to see how it was for a long time so I offered to go as groom/helper for my trainer that was riding one of the stallions, so I got a very interesting “inside” view on the process.

Off course I enjoyed a lot being there and having a small role on it. Spending time around gorgeous horses really made my day!!!!
Made some pictures of the different stages of the grading. They are intentionally blurred, but I’m sure they allow a clear view of the event.


1st stage - Gait evaluation
The horse is ridden at judge’s instructions on the 3 gaits.

Stallions and riders standing waiting near the judges table before start.
The horse and riders can present themselves wearing the Portuguese traditional costume or the English style.

Before the riddeen presentation the horse’s ID microchip is checked, and the ridden presentation begins.


Walk, trot and canter for both leads.



2nd stage
After the ridden evaluation the horse is presented untacked and measured and photographed for his registry in the Stud-book.


3rd stage – Morphological appreciation and Final announcement
The horse is taken in-hand back to the arena and re-appreciated by the judges.


In the end the horse grades are announced to the audience.

After this the horse will be subject to a fertility test, before the Stallion approval is completed.

For further info please contact the APSL (Portuguese Lusitano Breed Association)http://www.cavalo-lusitano.com/
Congratulations to trainer for the good results and many thanks for being such a great model ;)

3 comments:

emma said...

Wow thanks for sharing this event with us! What amazing horses :) It is so cool to see how different types of horse events happen around the world. I really like the hats the riders wear.

Anonymous said...

Having ridden a couple of Lusitanos, I really loved viewing your photos. I almost feel as if I had been along for the amazing trip! Neat.

Linda
http://themanepoint.blogspot.com

Rising Rainbow said...

It sounds like an interesting process.